The 3rd SACU/PKU Essay Competition
Invitation to participate in SACU/PKU Essay Competition 2018
Closing Date: Friday 31st August 2018
Further to our recent discussions, I am so pleased that you are willing to participate in this year’s Society for Anglo-Chinese Understanding/Peking University Friendship and Understanding Essay Competitions. Both SACU and PKU are committed to building friendship and understanding between the peoples of China and UK. We are keen to ensure that the great work that goes on between people now is continued by the next generation. One of the ways to do this is to educate the younger generation about the amazing contribution of some of the historical figures who have been great friends of China.
SACU is proud to be associated with both George Hogg and Joseph Needham. Its founder was Joseph Needham and as a consequence has a longstanding relationship with Oundle School where Joseph received his education. Oundle School has been very supportive of SACU and currently houses its Archives. Through the School’s Archivist, it is helping SACU develop its collection and make it more accessible to school students and interested academics. SACU has many connections with organisations in China including the ICCIC – International Committee of Chinese Industrial Cooperatives; Lanzhou City University – Rewi Alley Research Centre and Shandan Bailie School, Gansu, NW China. This was the School that George Hogg founded in the 1940’s, as part of the spread and development of the industrial cooperatives, and where he tragically died at a very early age. St George’s School, which George Hogg attended, has a longstanding relationship with Shandan Bailie School and SACU has now launched a George Hogg Cooperative Education Fund to support the development of cooperative business skills amongst rural people in NW China.
This year we are pleased to announce that SACU/PKU will be awarding two prizes of £100 each to
√ The George Hogg China/UK Friendship and Understanding SACU/PKU Essay Competition – open to all the senior schools in Harpenden
√ The Joseph Needham China/UK Friendship and Understanding SACU/PKU Essay Competition – open to all the senior students of Oundle School
All essays need to be
√ No more than 3,000 words long
√ Properly referenced to demonstrate that the resources have been researched
√ Demonstrate a clear appreciation of the contribution of the main subject to building friendship and understanding between the peoples of China and UK
- Local promotion of the Essay Competition to start in mid June 2018 so that students have advanced notice before they go on holidays and can get help from teachers with their research before the end of term
- The deadline for all essays to be received by Friday 31st August 2018
- Judging to take place during the first two weeks of September. There will be a separate panel for each prize. Each panel will comprise SACU/PKU/local schools representatives. The judging panels’ decision on each prize is final.
- The winner will be notified by Saturday 15th September
- At the Award Ceremony the winner will receive £100 and a certificate. Professor Sun Hua PKU and Zoe Reed Chair SACU will present this. The SACU Chair of the Judging Panels, Dr. Frances Wood, will describe why the essay was selected as the winner. The winner and two family members will be invited to have a meal with the judging panel and award presenters and others to further discuss their interest in UK/China friendship and understanding and their essay.